Payroll Administrator/HR Generalist
We have an outstanding career opportunity for an experienced payroll professional interested in joining the Human Resources Department of a well-established, successful and growing mechanical contracting company located on the Queens/Nassau border. We seek a highly motivated Payroll Administrator/HR Generalist with a strong desire to build on their existing skills, and is determined to find new, creative and resourceful ways to support our organization. This person will work in collaboration with the Human Resources Manager to process and provide payroll support to the organization. He/she will maintain the company’s HRIS system, generate departmental reports, and stay current with applicable state and federal laws as they pertain to payroll. In addition, they will perform Human Resource Generalist functions such as recruitment, new hire orientation, maintenance of employee files and other special projections/duties as necessary.
We value our people above all else, and accordingly, this position comes with excellent benefits and unlimited opportunity for career development and advancement.
- Process weekly payroll for 200+ employee organization consisting of union and non-union staff who are both Exempt/Non-Exempt
- Verify and review payroll data and time records prior to transmission
- Devise safe guard procedures with Human Resources Manager to ensure processing accuracy
- Leverageexperience to assess current payroll functions to streamline processes with a focus on efficiency
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports, including gross payroll, hours worked, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.
- Gather payroll related information for certified payroll and work schedules for all internal and external annual audits
- Create manual checks & calculations, as needed
- Prepare weekly 401k/profit sharing contribution to review and upload; run reports for compliance with annual non-discrimination testing and 5500 filings
- Assist HR Manager with 401k and Worker’s Compensation annual audits
- Maintain accurate information through HRIS system (new hires, address changes, salary changes, deductions, terminations, etc.)
- Responsible for calculating sick, personal & vacation time
- Compile payroll data such as garnishments, insurance and other deductions
- Coordinate FMLA, PFL, and Disability procedures and support
- Active role in the time tracking system implementation; train employees (ADP Portal)
- Facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures to ensure accurate and timely transmission
HR Generalist Functions
- Assist the Human Resources division with recruitment functions which include writing job descriptions, job postings, screenings, and managing candidates through the applicant tracking system
- General HR filing and maintenance, employee file & I-9 tracking and management, maintain employee files, verify, and ERP onboarding
- Conduct new hire orientation for employees and assist with onboarding process
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws as they pertain to FLSA, record keeping, and general administration of payroll
- The ideal candidate will have recruitment background and be willing to diversify into other areas of Human Resources as needed
- Background in HVAC industry, with previous experience in similar type unionized service industry being a plus
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree; preferable in HR related field
- 3-5 years’ experience processing payroll and performing other Human Resources transactional functions as described above
- Experience with ADP a must; ADP version workforce now preferred
- Knowledge of ADP reporting functions
- Strong MS Office skills, including the ability to structure and apply Microsoft Excel solutions that require pivot-table and look-up functions
Apply for This Position
About Our Company
Donnelly Mechanical, an ENGIE company, is New York City’s premier provider of innovative commercial HVAC service, maintenance and construction. With over 30 years’ experience and 200+ employees, we serve New York City’s most prominent commercial organizations across a variety of sectors including data centers, healthcare facilities, Class-A office spaces and commercial real estate management firms.
Benefits & Culture
Our employees play a major role in our success and we value them. Many of our employees have been with us for over 10 years. Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, vision and company paid life insurance. We also offer flexible spending accounts, 401(k) and profit sharing plans.
Return to our Careers page